I had no idea what an incredibly long time 20 seconds was until we were instructed to wash our hands for a full 20 seconds. I’ve started using “Hey Siri” to make sure I am washing for the entire 20 seconds. Here are a few things you can do while you are waiting for your 20 seconds to end…
- 20 Squats. A lot of squats will result in getting fit if you are following the protocol several times a day.
- Sing Happy Birthday twice. At least two people somewhere in the world are having Birthdays.
- Use the Mindfulness app to meditate. We can all use some peace of mind now.
- Place your arms on the rim of the sink and stretch in a modified downward dog.
- Say an affirmation. “I am washing my hands, for myself and others.”
More positive affirmations here.
- Think about a friend or loved one you will call or text when you are finished.
- Make a hand washing poster with 20 second lyrics from your favorite song. https://washyourlyrics.com/
- Express your love and appreciation to your spouse (even though you’ve been cooped up with him or her WAY too long)l
- Play the Handwashing Song for the little ones.
- Keep up the habit even after this virus is over!